Power Player Comment - Radio Suicide

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Power Player Comment - Radio Suicide

Post by rogerwimmer » Sat May 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Doc: I’m not in the radio or music business, but I read the discussion you have on the “Power Player” column on AllAccess and thought I would make a few comments if that’s OK. I liked your comment, "Radio's death, if it happens, will be suicide at the hands of owners and operators not paying attention to what they should be doing." I would like to end that comment by saying . . . As they put the noose around their neck, they'll be pointing at Spotify and Pandora.

I agree with what you said. People are transitioning to online services partly because of the convenience and customization, but largely because radio stations do too many things that are obviously only about making money, and rely on having a captive audience. Of course people are going to look for other services! If it weren't for Spotify and Pandora, they might go back to cassette tapes and records. As you say, radio operators aren’t asking listeners what they want to hear, but are instead providing what they think the listeners want or need. That doesn’t make sense. Thanks for your time. - LM

LM: Thanks for the note. I’m happy to know that all types of people read the column. Your comments are perceptive for a non-radio/non-music person. I hope that radio operators wake up and see what’s going on so that traditional terrestrial radio doesn’t disappear. Radio has been a valuable medium for many decades and it would be a shame to see it fade away due to poor management.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.