Great Jock Exercise!

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

hitzmaker

Great Jock Exercise!

Post by hitzmaker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am

For the past 6 months we've been working on restructuring our on-air presence. Finally our PD and I sat down and talked for about an hour trying to come up with a few new ideas to pass along with the jocks.

They were really unexcited about this and it brought forward a station meeting. While in the middle of the meeting, one of my weekenders claimed that he knew exactly what to do to give us a fresh sound! A few of the jocks agreed and I asked them each to present to me one new idea for each of their shows. Something that if agreed upon by the PD and myself, we would do what was in our power to make it work.

As uninterested as I thought they were going to be, the jocks really took an effort upon themselves in bringing in some great new things to our station. Our morning show is now video casting on a daily basis and the night jock has a little more freedom with the music selection just to name a few.

I honestly have not seen a new wind in a station like this since I started in the early 80's! I'm really pleased with the results and thought I'd pass this info along to the AllAccess team!

onpointfm

Re: Great Jock Exercise!

Post by onpointfm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:32 pm

It's very important that all stations give their jocks a chance to give their input. It's give them a feeling of team not just being a pawn. :D

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:54 am

So you finally trusted the people you hired to do a great job and to bring their A game and you are surprised.

If you don't think people care about your audience and your station, then why hire them? If you don't trust your team to perform, why have them? You have hired creative talent and for the first time allowed them to create.

This is not rocket science. This is what radio needs to revitalize itself into a significant medium again. I am grateful you stopped managing long enough to listen to your talent.

jaycharles

Post by jaycharles » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm

The only thing about this post that surprises me is that there is a full staff. That is cool though that your PD is allowed to participate in the "sound" of the station. How 90s! Oh brother. In the meantime the girl emptying the trash bin has 2000 followers on Twitter, where she just posted "I'm pretty sure I make more than the DJs at this place I clean LOL"

mikejean

Post by mikejean » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 pm

oh thats too good exercise. that all amazing and nice. its really fun if we do that

stellaleon

Post by stellaleon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:27 am

Thanks a lot for sharing this informative thread

dieting

Post by dieting » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:31 pm

A few of the jocks agreed and I asked them each to present to me one new idea for each of their shows. Something that if agreed upon by the PD and myself, we would do what was in our power to make it work. ???
GuL