New Hard Rock on Active Rock is Dead, Why?

Moderator: moe

revevilunion51

New Hard Rock on Active Rock is Dead, Why?

Post by revevilunion51 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 pm

You or someone out there has to read this. When I grew up, active rock radio stations would focus on the youngest artists to make the top of the active rock format, therefore when an artist was popular on active rock radio, they would have massive success for the first two albums, but then become less successful by the release of the next two albums before declining on their fifth album. However, since 2012 I believe, active rock stations have been putting more success on older bands and only leaving a small room for new artists, and it upsets me to see this happen.

What the active rock format is supposed to do is to put more higher success on new artists and return the sticking to the old routine rather than playing the same bands over and over again. They should focus a lot, lot more on getting new and younger bands on higher success (I'll make up band names for this example; e.g. Eastern Project, Lacey Channel, Zans, I Am Adrenaline, Leech Bagger, Taken by Droves, Recreate the Stem, Active Volcanoes) and start declining all the bands they've been playing since the 1990s of course (e.g. Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Seether, Disturbed, Korn, Slipknot/Stone Sour, Alter Bridge, Godsmack) as well as permanently deleting bands that had lots of criticism by active rock fans (e.g. Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, Halestorm) as in, don't play any song by the older and most successful artists prior to the decline of new hard rock (again 2012 I believe). I was hoping that bands like The Amity Affliction, Periphery, Bad Seed Rising, Heartist, Blacklite District, From Ashes to New, H2NY, Reignwolf, These Raven Skies and Twelve Foot Ninja would have highly massive success on active rock radio both last year and this year, but they didn't, and look at those bands, they're crying in sorrow because they can't achieve active rock success like the older and popular bands have.

Now let's make a new deal/plan, Starting in 2015 (can't say late 2014 because the process I'm about to explain has to take some time), active rock radio stations will remove all it's pre-1990s classic rock music so they can replay the music from the 1990s and 2000s that you don't get to hear at all (e.g. Submersed, Injected, Revis, Blindside, Stereomud, The Prom Kings, No Address, Darwin's Waiting Room), these lost artists, because stations have chosen the classic rock revival route (e.g. Airbourne, Slivertide) and the mainstream heavy metal route (e.g. Metallica, Pantera) and how it felt more comfortable to them, well that's all going to end in 2015. Also in 2015, the active rock chart method should look something like this:
positions 1-10 artists (2010-present)
positions 11-25 artists (2008-present), with some Independent labeled-new hard rock artists (2010-present)
positions 26-35 artists 2005-present, with many independent labeled-new hard rock artists (2010-present)
positions 36-40 older artists (1990s-present; the ones who are the most successful)
41-50 Unsigned and/or Small-labeled artists
This method was used back when I first looked at the active rock top 50 chart in August 2010, and since then it changed, well guess what, it's coming back. Anyone remember or think about artists like Richy Nix, It's Alive, Man Made Machine, Kopek, Stellar Revival, Weaving the Fate and those atrists that were successful before the 2012 change, sad. It's Alive and Weaving the Fate didn't have time to make Wikipedia articles (though the former band did have a top 25 active rock entry in June 2010), whereas Stellar Revival had to cancel the release of their debut album with any postpones after January 2013 (the album was never officially released).
Anyway, the term "active rock" was created to focuses on the new and young bands as well as differentiate from "Heritage Rock" which that term was created to focus on the older and long time successful bands, no wonder why the R&R Active Rock and Heritage Rock charts had to discontinue in late November 2013 due to the active rock change made in 2012. So in 2015,focus less on bands like Godsmack and more on bands like Periphery or a band making it's debut in 2015 or later, doesn't matter if it's independently labeled or major labeled.

So what are you waiting for, one person can make a change to a generation, so let's make that change!

zebster

Re: New Hard Rock on Active Rock is Dead, Why?

Post by zebster » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 am

You say... "What the active rock format is supposed to do is to put more higher success on new artists and return the sticking to the old routine rather than playing the same bands over and over again."

But from a Management/Ownership perspective, what an Active Rock station "should do" is deliver ratings. Whatever that takes.

New music from lesser known bands tends to be less popular than established music from established artists.

revevilunion51

Post by revevilunion51 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Well that's what you think, but for me, I think that lesser known bands should be more popular than established artists (compare the new hard rock driven list of number one songs on the R&R Active Rock Airplay Chart for the year 2002 to the older and established artists list of number one songs on that same chart for the year 2013).

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:07 pm

I love to look at the old arbitron ratings, I have a site where I can look back at the 80s 90s ratings for all the markets and it breaks down by demo and sex.

Back in the 80s rock radio had ownership of all male demos. Some markets chr did well with men, but rock really dominated, sometimes 3 stations deep and all of them playing at least some, at the time, new music.

Face it new rock is just not popular, many many more males now listen to chr and rhythmic stations along with country which is on fire right now.

Rock is now so splintered that radio cannot really serve a mass audience, rock listeners want only alternative, folk based, the new take on classic rock, or the loud angry screaming active rock. When there are other means to get a more focused listening of the type of rock you want, a mass appeal medium like radio just doesn't work.

Think about it, chr takes the most popular songs no matter what they sound like. Chr is ignoring rock for the most part because it is just not very good right now. Some alternative rock gets play, but really it is not "rock" music.

Radio would need some new rock movement that is so strong that it gains a very mass appeal audience for it. This has not happened now for 20 years. You just cannot program a successful rock radio station without playing a large amount of older music, not in 2014.

goodhelp

Post by goodhelp » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Perhaps "revevil51" can interest some station managers with a good size list of artists and songs that: 1) are a part of top-tier large market stations programming, 2) have consistent record sales and 3) have made a successful public impact with image recognition.

Then, the station manager will ask, "how many artists and songs would that be?" Better have an answer ready! One's feelings about what "should" be often are in conflict with what is, and what works. Risk averse management is today's accepted posture.

In the 60's and early 70's FM station owners basically simulcasted the big AM programming or some kind of doctor's office format. Just so it provided modulation. Opened the door to FM rock pioneers Tom Donahue and many others to build, test, and modify rock radio content. Took a few years until it "worked."

We'll have to wait a few more months before some terrestrial stations become "worthless" and ripe for experimentation...all over again!

next780

Post by next780 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 am

Hello! I really liked your story. Thank you!
upser.com