SearchForum RulesFAQ
User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts
An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format
Post a reply

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format
by revevilunion51 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm
Massive Rock
Massive Rock is a radio format used by many commercial radio stations across the United States and Canada. Massive Rock stations play new and mainstream hard rock music with some new alternative songs.

Format Background

A Massive Rock station focuses on Rock music from the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. It leans more towards newer, younger and recent artists, as opposed to active rock radio, which focuses on older, popular and mainstream artists

A Massive Rock station may include earlier songs by "mainstream" artists in its playlist such as Seether, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Korn, Staind, Saliva, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Puddle of Mudd, Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, Godsmack, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Theory of a Deadman, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch and Volbeat which is the main focus on active rock stations. Conversely, unlike active rock stations, a massive rock station mainly focuses on new music by new, recent and young hard rock artists such as Young Guns, Art of Dying, Heaven’s Basement, Beware of Darkness, We as Human, Dead Sara, Nothing More, Otherwise, Periphery, Starset, Kyng, 3 Years Hollow, Royal Blood, Crobot, Bad Seed Rising, Heartist, From Ashes to New, Blacklite District, You Me at Six, Reignwolf, Mona, Gemini Syndrome, Eve to Adam, The Amity Affliction, The Letter Black, Brick + Mortar, Mindset Evolution, Of Mice & Men, Righteous Vendetta, Letters from the Fire, Islander and Candlelight Red alongside many others, although most of these artists are usually absent from a mainstream alternative station, but only some are present on an active rock station. A massive rock station may occasionally include some popular alternative and indie rock that has crossed over from mainstream alternative radio such as Imagine Dragons, Young the Giant, Atlas Genius, The Neighbourhood, Foals, J. Roddy Walston & the Business, Awolnation, Alt-J, The 1975, Grouplove, Bastille, Twenty One Pilots, Kongos, Bear Hands, Bad Suns, Milky Chance and The Colourist alongside some others.

Similar to massive rock stations, Active Rock stations play new hard rock, but emphasize mainstream hard rock music over new hard rock songs.

Here's an example of what a massive rock chart would look like

July 18, 2014

1. Nothing More - This is the Time (Ballast)
2. Starset - My Demons
3. Royal Blood - Out of the Black
4. You Me at Six - Room to Breathe
5. Of Mice & Men - Would You Still Be There
6. Crobot - Nowhere to Hide
7. Adelitas Way - Dog on a Leash
8. We as Human featuring Lacey Sturm - Take the Bullets Away
9. Like a Storm - Love the Way You Hate Me
10. Avatar - Bloody Angel
11. Bring Me the Horizon - Can You Feel My Heart
12. Devour the Day - Respect
13. Kongos - Come with Me Now
14. Framing Hanley - Criminal
15. Islander - Coconut Dracula
16. Letters from the Fire - Eleanor Rigby
17. Heartist - Skeletons
18. The Last Internationale - Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Indian Blood
19. Otherwise - Darker Side of the Moon
20. Within Reason - Enemy
21. The Amity Affliction - Pittsburgh
22. Escape the Fate - Picture Perfect
23. Eve to Adam - Locked and Loaded
24. Sleepwave - Through the Looking Glass
25. Asking Alexandria - Moving On
26. The Pretty Reckless- Messed Up World
27. Royal Bliss - Turn Me On
28. H2NY - Bleed
29. Beartooth - Beaten in Lips
30. Bad Seed Rising - Hey Kid
31. Rival Sons - Open My Eyes
32. Redlight King - Devil's Dance
33. The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
34. Twelve Foot Ninja - Coming for You
35. Motionless in White - Reincarnate
36. Twin Atlantic - Heart and Soul
37. Sakara - From Ashes
38. Gemini Syndrome - Morning Star
39. Big Data featuring Joywave - Dangerous
40. Bad Suns - Cardiac Arrest

Now you get the format? Reply if you think it's an amazing idea.

dannycomellas

Re: An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format

Post by dannycomellas » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:08 am

Personally, I'd love it. It'd be a nice change of pace from what's become a dull rock format since the death of nu-metal. That's the kind of station that a band like Opeth, In Flames, Meshuggah, or maybe even a band like Animals As Leaders could do well on. However, a format like that probably wouldn't do well overall in the USA. Rock stations don't do particularly well, and those that do lean on the classics. Rock fans, it seems, stopped being really open-minded about what rock music could actually be in about 2000, and they really just want to relive their youths and hear 80s and 90s rock.

The closest thing that's come to a chart like that has actually been Sirius Octane.

smothermarn

Post by smothermarn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 pm

I was impressed to read posts like this very much.

slockwood

Post by slockwood » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 am

Sounds like my internet station, which by the way is growing despite disbelief in the format. Check it out and let me know if it isn't close to what you're suggesting. www.xxxrock.fm

shawnkelly

Post by shawnkelly » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

KRWN in New Mexico has been doing that for years! Mixed with 90's as well. Here is a typical hour:

Eve To Adam: Locked & Loaded
Nine Inch Nails: Closer
(Sweeper)
Godsmack: Something Different
(Stopset: Promo/Spots/Sweeper)
In This Moment: Blood
Disturbed: Stupify
(Sweeper)
Motley Crue: Wild Side
Otherwise:Darker Side of the Moon
Asking Alexandria: Moving On
Three Days Grace: Pain Killer
(Sweeper)
Rev Theory: The Alpha King
(Sweeper)
Motionless In White: Reincarnate
Marilyn Manson: The Beautiful People
Escape the Fate: Picture Perfect
(Sweeper)
Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

It's not who we play, it's WHAT we play. We listen to the area. Give them what they want. Any station can do this and be a success, if allowed. Listen to the people. It's not what we like or want. It's what the listener wants. All you have to do is ask them. It will take some work to get it done, but if you don't find out what THEY want and NOT you, it will never work. we may be great programmers, OM's, GM's or MD's, but the ultimate experts are the ones who have control over what they listen to. I'm in no way suggesting people follow what we do at KRWN, because what works here, is not the same that would work in a market 2 1/2 hours away. This has been very successful for us.