Dry seques in Rock

Moderator: moe

kitmann

Dry seques in Rock

Post by kitmann » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 pm

So how do my fellow programmers feel about dry seque-ways (song to song) on a rock station? I prefer to ID the station constantly, but I am curious as to what other PDs are doing now.

Thoughts?

zarrin

Re: Dry seques in Rock

Post by zarrin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I scheduled dry segs at my previous station. We imaged after every other song. If you have a good ear for the rock format, it can be done. Too many stations are over-imaged anyway. Let the music breathe.

kitmann

Post by kitmann » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 am

I know that it's pretty easy to do if you are playing REALLY recognizable stuff back to back--and that is the key--I have started to feel that some rock station clocks (including mine) are starting to sound over-imaged (as you put it)...But it is so ingrained in my head that when I hear a dry seg, I freak out ---LOL

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Over imaged, over consulted and over programmed. Aside from you and your production director most listeners regard imaging as a potential tune out. By dropping id's and calls between every song who are you programming to? Your loyal core or the channel surfer? And what is the magnet, the secret sauce...The music or your imaging. It's the music...The programming. Be artistic, adventurous, even dangerous. I am attracted to stations that don't ID every 3 1/2 minutes. Imagine your listeners going...wow who is this (station) They are fun to listen to, nice sets and sweeps. A station with taste, imagination, pacing and texture. There is no clinical research that supports an ID after every song. None. It's a white collar, tight collar, I can't think without a consultant myth... What does your station stand for, what do you stand for, are you programming to an audience or a ratings methodology. Time to hoist up your briches buccaroo and take a walk on the wild side. You'll be amazed how many people want to be over there with you.

jayx

Post by jayx » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Bravo, Impala... Rock stations are *supposed* to be different. That's why people listen. Give 'em a reason to stay with you... It's an experience, it's not a mix CD or a freakin' jukebox. The details (segs, flow, imagination, texture, imaging, attitude) are EVERYTHING in rock radio and what sets you apart. I miss the pure AOR days where every station had it's own attitude and the people programming and on the air sounded like they loved what they did and had PRIDE in what they did.

These days... you're listening to a voice track most of the time, and whoever is supposed to be on the air is in a meeting, or... something. Filling out some form or answering some stupid e-mail from some senior-vice-assistant-director-of-research explaining why they're playing something that hasn't been 'approved.'

Whoever started this horrible rumor that radio was dying must be awfully proud of themselves. People are actually starting to believe it. Pretty depressing. When we ever get to enjoy our jobs again?

mdellinger

Post by mdellinger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 am

This helps allot. I just learned from this. BTW I agree. Less segues. PS Love my job

paulw

Post by paulw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:52 pm

When did the term "dry" get attached to the word seque as it relates to Rock radio programming? Prefer to look at two songs connecting as wet and sweaty! Part of the emotional attraction of the music to the person listening is the ride, letting one's mind go where the songs take them. Being pulled forward by accelerating tempos, tracks with harmonic chords or related lyrics can build feeling and mood. Good lubricant for your TSL. Why be so compelled to have to interrupt the musical intercourse every time one song ends and another begins? Of course, you want to ID the station often, and avoid "train wreck" transitions between uptempo and slow songs, etc., but is it your branding package that the listeners tune in for, or the music...?

docrawk

Post by docrawk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm

"Musical Intercourse". "Good Lubricant for your TSL".
...the ride, the sweat, the 'mind' going to where your 'ear candy' takes them. Thanks for the excellent response. It's truth. Know your music...make sure your audience knows your music...on your quarter hour, there's plenty of room for a 'wet, nasty, sweaty segue...;)
J