Plans for an Active Rock Revival

Moderator: moe

revevilunion51

Plans for an Active Rock Revival

Post by revevilunion51 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:45 am

Two months ago, I read an article from 2006 called “The Graying of Active Rock”, which described active rock stations going a completely different direction from a heavy hard-edged new hard rock only radio station to a alternative-leaning format with classic rock and hair metal, the latter two were traditionally not part of active rock in the 1980s and 1990s.

1996-2000 riding on kids rides at Jenkinson’s as a little boy listening to an active rock station that was playing only artists like Bad Brains, Helmet, Toadies, Third Eye Blind, Seven Mary Three, Suicidal Tendencies, Type O Negative, Monster Magnet, Prong, Strapping Young Lad, Refused, Candlebox, Corrosion of Conformity, Oleander, Stabbing Westward, King’s X, and Biohazard. Even Pantera jump in. I saw their music videos at Sam Goody while mom bought cassette tapes.

2003-2005 actives still played both new and recurrent music from the artists above along new music from emerging bands, but a small number of classic rock was starting to show.

2010-2013 only a small few of the traditional Active Rock bands are getting success, with some pop punk and a lot of hair metal being played. By 2012 new music by emerging artists start becoming less common following the rise of indie music becoming big on CHR…

...and this is still happening today

I mean it’s not fair to our younger listenings to be listening to the same bands over and over again, which is why I edited Wikipedia’s Active rock article with false information as a protest, for those stations who don’t play any good music (please forgive me if I added the extreme leaning indie rock part, only because that is no longer consider active rock friendly).

New music by emerging artists has long been the goal on active rock radio. It may not be as common this decade as it was in the 1990s and 2000s, but it must return.

Why can’t we play artists, like, say, Nothing More, Starset, Islander, Devour the Day, Young Guns, Failure Anthem, Crobot, From Ashes to New, Sleepwave, Shattered Sun, Nothing But Thieves, Like a Storm, Modestep, While She Sleeps, Northern Faces, Kyng, I Prevail, Twelve Foot Ninja, Code Orange, Sworn In and Dinosaur Pile Up in heavy rotation and make them hit number one. And don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a few comebacks of traditional Active Rock bands for our younger audiences to get into once in a while, just think of Anthrax and big they became again, that could happen to other bands like Fear Factory and Prong.

Back in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s, a band could make active rock success, all without watering down their and become a sell out. Now in this decade, it’s clearly the opposite, with bands like All That Remains, Of Mice & Men being accused for selling out to radio.

And to tell you the truth, I want to work on an active rock station as a program director. And when I do, I am not going to play music I don’t think fits actives. So can we please go back to our roots to active rock pioneers like 95 WIIL Rock and Banana 101.5, or are we all choosing the KROQ route?

jonnymel

Re: Plans for an Active Rock Revival

Post by jonnymel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I am right with you. The business is not what it once was and there is plenty of great music out there. It takes a MD with a love for music to make the real thing happen. WNEW in NY late sixties.....when they found and played the music, history was about to occur.
Let me know when you get rolling.......

jonnymel
www.numberonemusic.com/jonnymel

JesseErickson

Re: Plans for an Active Rock Revival

Post by JesseErickson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:39 pm

I agree with you too. That's why I created my own online radio station focusing on all new rock like what you mentioned...

Give Today's New Rock The Lion a listen at http://www.TheLionRocks.com Let me know what you think!