Booking Interviews

Moderator: pmsimon

smokytires

Booking Interviews

Post by smokytires » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:08 am

Hi everybody! I'm still pretty new to this whole talk-radio format...I'm hosting a show on a local AM station, and my boss wants me to be getting interviews on a daily basis....well the local interviews are easy enough to find...but how do all of you go about finding bigger interviews?

Is there some sort of website that has lists of people wanting to be interviewed? Any help on this subject is appreciated.

Thanks,
David H.

pmsimon

Re: Booking Interviews

Post by pmsimon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm

There are several places where guest suggestions are made or traded, some free and some not. Guestbooker.com is one example. Some syndicators and prep services also offer guest booking services (for a fee). For things like celebrity bookings, you'll also want to call the publicity departments of the TV networks and movie studios to start, make contacts that way, let them know who you are and who you represent. Same for the PR departments of the local sports teams, the SID offices at the college athletics departments. And if your station is an affiliate of a news network, they will help you with getting network correspondents to guest on your show, too. Obviously, it helps if you have a big station in a big market, but even small market stations can get guests with some work.

markstarling

Post by markstarling » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I agree, I hosted a morning talk show for almost a decade in Florida and the resources are there. You may want to call on some of the publishing companies in New York as well, authors are usually pretty easy guests to get and they are usually pretty good on the air. You may want to try www.radioonline.com, they are used by several different PR firms. Look in the Guest/Interviews Section. It may cost you $20 a month but it's worth it for what you get. Their prep is solid and the guest section has some really good resources for starting a network of bookers. Best of luck to you my friend!!

sports723

Post by sports723 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:10 pm

I was in a similar situation in college. Mine was a sports talk format, but a lot of those Newspaper/National guys will do interviews because they love talking about that subject. It was really amazing how many people agreed to an interview in such a small market, but it was true. A lot of their contact information, at least an email are available at the bottom of their story, or by doing a little digging through their paper/mag/web site.

radioguests

Post by radioguests » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Yes, finding guests to interview can be tough for small or local shows (or podcasts).

That's why we started http://www.RadioGuestList.com several years ago. You can use the service to request exactly the types of guests you want to interview on your show - for FREE.

The service emails out your interview guest needs to experts, authors, celebrities, etc. There's also a list of "Featured" guest experts you can contact any time for good on the air interviews. (That's at http://www.radioguestlist.com/featured- ... perts.html)

Even small shows get multiple responses from qualified guest experts, often dozens. RadioGuestList.com can make your life a LOT easier (and your show better, too).

Try it - it will definitely make your job easier.